- The Hiring Process
- Interview/Resume Tips
The Hiring Process
Step 1: Apply Online
All open positions are listed online
Be sure to attach your profile/resume to an open position or we won't be notified you have an interest in something
Step 2: Phone Interview
The West Music Human Resource team will review resumes as they come in and will schedule phone conversations with applicants that fit the qualifications.
Step 3: In Person Interviews
Top tallent will be selected to come onsite for interviews. These interviews may be conducted by a panel or just one person. During this step the West Music family gets to learn more about you and you get to learn more about us!
Step 4: Becoming an Associate
West Music prides itself on hiring top talent in the area and providing each associate with their own unique West Music experience.
After completion of a background check and accepting an offer of employment, you are officially a West Music associate!
Did you know the average recruiter only spends 20-30 seconds looking at your resume and cover letter?
With limited time, it is important to find out how to stand out
- The most recent information first
- Use action words
- One page for every ten years of experience
- Be concise and to the point
- Accent your strengths and experience
- Sell yourself and your experiences
- It only takes 7 seconds to make a first impression. With that said, dress for success. Not every job requires a suit and tie so do your research and don't be afraid to ask!
- Come prepared, bring copies of your resume and a list of questions to ask at the end of the interview
- Practice some sample interview questions at home. You don't want to be scripted but you do want to have a general idea of how to answer a variety of questions
- Come on time. Being a little early is always better than being a little late!
- Try to relax! Just remember that an interview is just a chance to get to know who you are and what unique skills you bring to the table. Interviews are really just conversations to dig deeper into your experiences and tendencies.
- Do your own research. If you can mention some things about West Music, it shows that you care enough about the job opportunity to do some digging in your free time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if the position I am looking for isn't open right now?
No problem! We have a job posting called "Future Open Positions" and it is open all year long for applicants who want to work at West Music. We refer back to this pool of applicants each time a position is posted.
Where are your stores located?
Our corporate office is located in Coralville, Iowa, but we have eight total locations including:
- Coralville Corporate
- Coralville Fulfillment
- Cedar Falls
- The Quad Cities
Can I apply for more than one position?
Absolutely! If you feel like your qualifications meet more than one job opening please feel free to apply to more than one.
How long does your hiring process take?
It can vary depending on the season and the position. We are a retail company and our busiest season is during the fall. The more applicants for each position, the longer it will take.
Does West Music have internships?
In fact, we do! We offer internships in Human Resources, Marketing, and Music Therapy. They typically occur during the school year and can be anywhere from one to two semesters long!